Friday, April 12, 2013

The Bible Series

I didn't get a chance to watch the Bible on the History Channel when it came out so like all the other people who have DVR's I set mine to record the series. Anxious to watch it but to busy or maybe to lazy to watch it, I haven't watched it up until now.

However, in the mean time, I had gone to a bible study on the invitation of my aunt. While there, the Bible series become the topic of discussion. Eager to hear what the others might be thinking about it I sat a little straighter and open my ears to hear what they had to say.

Once the conversation got going, and I heard what people were saying, I began to get a pang in my spirit. I was shocked and appalled to listen to the words that was coming out of their mouths. Complaints, how dare they, it's not scripture, and who those kinds of shows do more evil than good and there is no way it follows the bible.

They talked about how the whole thing was surmised and not true. As the time went on, I noticed all they did was surmised about things in the bible. What Joseph must have thought when Mary got pregnant. What? Did I hear right? Yes I did.

What I have learned since then and now even as I watch the Bible series, I realize just how much surmising gets us in trouble. Surmising is brings trouble into our lives and opens unwanted doors that are left unopened. Surmising is more dangerous then judging others and we do it without thinking.

We think we know one thing and know how to fix the problems of the world. Surmising opens up the mouth and gives the tongue the right to spout out things that are better left unsaid. Surmising hurts people, especially the ones we love. It brings on hatred and allows strife to enter in and make a muck out of our lives.

So one thing is in need, take surmising out your vocabulary and make it a thing of your past.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment